We are sorry to see you are having trouble connecting Hook to WiFi using the Android/iOS App. Different router setup or phone settings may result in strange behavior, which could prevent Hook from connecting.
Just some things to keep in mind before trying again:
- WiFi security type should be WPA/WPA2. Enterprise security is not supported at this moment. If your network offers a splash login screen, Hook will not be able to connect to our cloud service without whitelisting the MAC address.
- WiFi name or password cannot contain any special characters or space
- Only 2.4GHz WiFi channel is currently supported. If you have dual band WiFi network, make sure that both the networks are not named same, as the Hook hub may try to connect to the 5GHz channel and fail
- If you have WiFi extenders, it's best to turn them off during the setup process
- If you continue to have trouble, check out the setup videos at: https://www.hooksmarthome.com/setup
Try again now. Continue to read if you are still failing at this point:
Step 1: Is your WiFi security type WEP?
If yes, Stop. Refer to this article instead
Step 2: Press and hold the Side button for ~3 secs to put Hook.
Hook should start blinking blue. You are now ready to pair Hook to WiFi.
Try one of the steps below in the order listed:
Step 3: Turn Smartphone Data Off. Now use the Android/iOS App to 'Add Hook'.
Step 4: If unsuccessful (Hook is still blinking blue), Use the Web App at www.gethook.io/web on a laptop computer to 'Add Hook'
Step5: No luck? Please try the Particle App. Particle is the WiFi chip manufacturer for Hook. Instructions are here: https://gethook.freshdesk.com/solution/articles/9000105415-connecting-hook-to-wifi-using-the-particle-app
One of these steps is bound to work. If you continue to have trouble, please email us, preferably with answers to the following questions:
Is your WiFi security type WEP?
Do you have WiFi extenders?
Does your WiFi name have spaces?
Do you have a dual band router and both bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) named same?
Do you have ATT WiFi calling enabled?